5.27.2009

DOTW- A new kind of Cookie

So... sorry I've been slightly MIA for the past few days. Life as always got away from me a little bit.... and it is just about to again. I am currently in Omaha, at my sister's house, quilting and eating- until the weekend when she leaves and I take care of her three kids for a few days. It's a good life being a sister and aunt.

So later this week or early next week look forward to some more child appropriate menus.

As for now.... I'm off chocolate. It's a travesty but I like to know that I can do it. So I have gotten more creative and here are my cookies of the moment. It all started because I was craving chocolate chip cookie dough.

Pseudo Macaroons
(they taste remarkably like macaroons but have almost none of the same ingredients)


(my basic cookie recipe)
1/2 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/4 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

(additions)
1/4 c oats
1/4-1/2 c coconut
1/2 t cinnamon
mini marshmallows

1. Make cookie dough just like any other dough.
2. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Add in oats, coconut and cinnamon.
4. Using a cookie scoop, fill scoop with dough and push 3 marshmallows into center, down deep. Cover hole and put on lined cookie sheet.
5. Should make 12 depending on size.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes until they are golden brown.
7. Let cool and enjoy.

Sorry no pictures! They were gone too fast!

has anyone been trying this weeks menu?
or do you have any good way that you organize you food week?

4 comments:

Juliet said...

Gasp!!!

Off chocolate? What would compel you towards such insanity? :)

(Betcha within 6 hours of caring for 3 kids you'll have to give in! It's a hard job, good luck.)

Anyway. I think during naptime today I'm gonna print off your recipe and the cookie recipe Mer posted a few days ago and make them both. Cookie day!

I am excited for 'child appropriate'!!!! Let us know what you make that is successful with them, Linc can be a real pain at dinnertime. So I resign often and just feed him: cheese crisp, chicken dinos, jelly sandwich, tater tots... oh you get the idea. I predict more success for you though.

Juliet said...

Ok I tried it last night and I can tell that they would taste really good! I made it exactly as the directions said, but they all were flat and molded into each other.

Husband said @ high altitudes you have to bake things a bit longer and add 15% more flour. (like I wanna recalculate everything I cook). I'd trust your suggestions more than his or the ones he's picked up from his parents who are also great cooks. Is this your suggestion also?

I think you have some readership in UT, and you've done lots of cooking in Utah. Any ideas?

Joy said...

Oh no! It is true that you need to fix things for high altitudes but I've never actually had a hard time un Utah (maybe if i baked in park city!)

You can certainly try his suggestions, but I am guessing there might have been something wrong with the way you mixed it....

Juliet said...

Yep that's entirely possible. Like I said I followed the recipe exactly so to me that means the order they are written in is the order I put them into the bowl and mix them. That's the way I do any recipe unless it instructs otherwise, and it's probably wrong isn't it.