3.24.2009

Catfish Saag

John and I love Indian food. I think one of the big reasons I love it so much is because I don't know a lot of what goes into making it. When I go to a french restaurant I know exactly how they did what they did and whether it was worth the cost or not, but with Indian food I am at a loss. At school we made a dish or two but I still have a lot to learn when it comes to their food. The other thing that makes it so good are the thick, spicy, rich sauces. My very favorite is Saag. Saag is a spinach based sauce and when I attempted to make it last week John gave me the compliment that it could have been found in an Indian Restaurant. High Praise! It went really well with the catfish, but chicken, lamb or even veggies would all be suitable alternatives.
Catfish Saag scaled for 2

Ingredients:

1 catfish fillet
dijon mustard
1 T dry brown mustard seeds
1 T cumin seeds
1 t caraway seeds
1 t coriander
salt and pepper

1/2 onion
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup basic tomato sauce
1 c frozen spinach
1 T turmeric
1 t cumin
1 t cumin seeds
1 t coriander
1/2 T red pepper flakes
1/2 c greek yogurt

1. Marinate catfish in first six ingredients for a couple hours, grill
2. Slice onions and cook until carmelized, add garlic
3. Add spinach and tomato sauce, let defrost
4. Add spices and let thicken
5. Blend so that it is a thick paste, not too well blended
6. Just before serving add yogurt off the heat so that it doesn't curdle

Serve with basmati rice. This really is delicious, and a good introduction to indian food if you haven't had it before.

enJOY

No comments: